Sunday, April 17, 2011

Heart Touching Moments

I was at a local religious center the other day, and I saw a father with a son about 9-10 years old. When reaching a wide drain the father held his son up and helped him cross. This simple moment touched my heart as my father never did that for me.

I've always done that for my son, now aged 28 months. Thinking of what I see everyday, I realized now why our neighbor's children always looked at me with sad eyes when I return home from work, pick up my son and take him to the playground (or into the car for a cruise). The children are aged 4-5 years old and the father once home will either hibernate into the bedroom or jump into his Mitsubishi Evo with noisy muffler and drive away only to return at 3AM. They are highly dependent on the maid who is also acting as a nanny.

I am not saying that I am a great father, but I am now 32 years old and I can still feel the emptiness of my father being never available for me, let alone pick me up in his arms and bring me somewhere to spend time with. It's a void that will never be filled. The moment is once in a lifetime and it has passed. If he wants to do that to me right now, he'll break his arms trying to pick up a 95kg man.

My point is, we can still remember our past time as kids even after we grow up and moments are only once for a child so we should cherish it when we have the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment